Manylion a Disgrifiad y Llyfr | Book Details & Description
- ISBN: 9781845271893
- Author: Elin Meek
- Publication September 2009
- Format: Paperback, 280x210 mm, 80 pages
A fun-packed fully illustrated book for children (and families) presenting all matters relating to Welsh Princes - their history, dates and celebrations, traditions, myths, poems and activities. Includes over a hundred illustrations: photographs, pictures, maps and diagrams.
Although the age of the native princes of Wales came to an end with the disappearance of Owain Glyndwr in 1409, its history is still important to us today. In this book you will taste the thrill and excitement of the Age of the Princes, and get to know about the people and events that shaped our nation. Read about:
• The ‘Old Welsh’ who once ruled Britain.
• The importance of family trees to the princes – and to Welsh people everywhere.
• The fair and far-reaching laws of Hywel Dda, which gave rights to children and women, and were well before their time.
• The role played by poets and monks in the lives of the princes of Wales.
• Why the Vikings failed to leave their mark on Wales.
• The prince who founded the first eisteddfod in 1176.
• The history of names such as Jones, Bowen and Powell.
• Owain Glyndwr’s plans for better education, rights and government for the people of Wales, which have inspired the Welsh throughout the ages.
Enjoy a variety of activities: create a coat of arms; compile a family tree; make a catapult; keep a diary, just like Gerald the Welshman; write a poem to your own national hero.